Are you great about remembering to schedule annual maintenance services on your air conditioner or furnace, but you often forget to replace the filter? If so, you can be putting additional wear and tear on the system as dirty filters can prevent the unit from working properly. To prevent this, it’s important to schedule regular filter replacement services with Alta Air’s trustworthy technicians in Wood Cross, UT.
Does your air conditioner need a tune-up? Contact us to learn about our air conditioning repair services in Northern Utah.
Risks of Not Replacing Your Filters Regularly
While you might be aware that dirty filters can lead to poor indoor air quality in your house, they can also have larger impacts, including:
- Inadequate airflow: Clogged filters may prevent air from moving as expected.
- Risk of breakdowns: Blocked filters can cause wear and tear on your system and force it to overwork.
- Higher repair costs: If your system is being overworked it can result in more frequent repairs.
- Higher utility bills: If the system is overworked, it can use more energy to keep your home at the desired temperature.
When Should You Replace Your Filters?
When talking about replacing your air filters, the most common question can be: how often should I change them? Well, it depends.
A general timeline to follow is:
- Change every six months if you don’t have a pet.
- Replace every three months if you live in an urban area, as these areas can have potential air quality issues.
- Change every two months if you have a pet.
- Replace once a month if anyone in your household has pet allergies.
- Replace more often during periods of extended AC or furnace use.
Is there a musty smell in your house when your air conditioner is running? It can signal an issue with your evaporator coil. Contact us to learn about our evaporator coil services.
Benefits of Replacing Filters Regularly
There are several benefits to changing your air filters regularly. Some advantages can include:
- Improved indoor air quality: This can benefit your family’s health.
- Lower utility bills: Units work more efficiently – and use less energy – when they have a clean filter.
- Increased lifespan of your unit: Changing the filter allows it to endure less wear and tear.
- Reduced dust around your home: The filters can help collect it before it travels through the air.