Keep the Night Heated Up and the Energy Bills Low With a Few Tips
It’s always nice to have a comfortable home, but it may be of extra value when love is in the air. When deciding where to put the candles and rose petals, it might be a good idea to prep the rest of the home to ensure the central heating is working at its best. The next step is to enjoy a date night.
Are Windows and Doors Drafty?
Catching a chill from a doorway or window is pretty common. Houses are not air-tight, and they grow less and less so with age. This is particularly true around the outdoor access points: windows and doors.
These are the areas where there is the least insulation against outdoor weather. Of course, this is a partially intentional design, but the cracks do tend to grow. To cut down on drafts, there are several easy steps that the average homeowner can take.
- Caulking Windows: Sometimes, windows just need a little more silicone around their frames to keep the chill-out
- Weather Stripping: Applying this cushion around the edges of a door frame will reduce the incoming cold
- New Curtains: Many new curtain options are like adding an extra layer of insulation to a room
Try Energy Star Windows
When a customer is looking into optimizing home heating, one of the first things to look at is a home’s windows. As previously mentioned, windows are, by design and necessity, a weak point in a home’s insulation. Engineers have come a long way in window design since the days of the early glaziers.
Windows can now provide their form of insulation and can greatly increase the efficiency of a home heating system.
Energy Star windows, which only receive the energy star rating after extensive independent testing for efficiency, are a great investment and often pay for themselves over time. Installing these can have a big effect on home comfort and energy costs.
Heater Maintenance and the Local Contractor
While this sounds good in theory, a homeowner may be concerned about finding a trustworthy heating company to do the job. Looking for an HVAC contractor may be daunting, but by following a few simple tips, a homeowner can be confident in their choice of heating contractor.
- Ask friends for recommendations
- Read reviews on Google or Yelp
- Look up a contractor through the Better Business Bureau or relevant certifying organizations such as NATE
- Check the company’s website for coupons and special deals
About Alta Air
The people of Woods Cross, UT have been relying on Alta Air for their HVAC services for nearly twenty years. They offer a complete array of heating services and installations. Call Alta Air today for heating service in Woods Cross and the surrounding areas.